Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Thoughts on a Handheld Console

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DatGreenTea
☆☆
DatGreenTea

Thoughts on a Handheld Console Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on a Handheld Console   Thoughts on a Handheld Console I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Though I plan on purchasing a PS4 within this upcoming year, I've been eager to purchase a new handheld console (PS Vita or 3DS).

As of this moment, I have been leaning towards the 3DS XL, considering their large game category, of which includes games/franchises that I love (Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing). The main issue I have with purchasing the console is that I'm not quite sure about its lifespan. As the console has been out for quite some time, I'm not sure as to how much longer there will be strong development/support for the console.

I have been looking over the PS Vita and it appears to be a great handheld, and seems as though Sony will continue providing great support for the system. As a future PS4 owner, it almost seems inevitable that I will be purchasing a Vita sometime during the PS4's life cycle. Should the purchase wait, as I might get one soon anyway? Or should I purchase it now and potentially miss out on great franchises in the 3DS?

I love JRPGs and Platformers, as well as games I can go in and out of as I please (for example Animal Crossing or Little Big Planet and Mario).

Any thoughts as to which handheld console I should put my chips into, or thoughts in general as to which handheld you prefer? Any and all comments are appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://hakitou.tumblr.com
DatGreenTea
☆☆
DatGreenTea

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a Handheld Console   Thoughts on a Handheld Console I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 11:54 am

bump :/
Back to top Go down
memphiskite
Battalion General [LEGENDARY]
memphiskite

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a Handheld Console   Thoughts on a Handheld Console I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 8:29 pm

It really depends on what games you like the most on a particular platform, as they are the ones that decide how long you'll spend your time on them.

I personally went for the PS Vita because of region locking issue. I know that the Nintendo 3DS is region locked itself, so if I buy a European handheld but wanted to buy a 3DS game from Japan, it won't work. That alone is enough to put me off it and stick with Sony.

And also because Persona is on it.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona is the only game that somehow manages to force me to buy the game first before I even have the console itself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.memphiskite.deviantart.com
DatGreenTea
☆☆
DatGreenTea

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a Handheld Console   Thoughts on a Handheld Console I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 12:07 am

memphiskite wrote:

And also because Persona is on it.
'Nuff said. haha

Persona is really great! I followed the anime and everything and was really looking forward to playing it, along with Dragon's Crown and some other RPG favorites, but Nintendo just has these franchises that always bring me back.

Perhaps I should put my purchase on hold, as we have yet to see all of the dual functionality that the PS Vita is supposed to have with the PS4. I think once I really see all that can be done with the system, I'll make my decision. Thanks for the insight!
Back to top Go down
memphiskite
memphiskite

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a Handheld Console   Thoughts on a Handheld Console I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Yep. That's the way it is for me. Smile

Nintendo does have Shin Megami Tensei IV (the actual numbered sequel in the series) & Devil Survivor 2 (spin off) which are pretty good too, even though they don't play similar to the Persona franchise (in terms of Social Links, I mean).

There's not much to the dual functionality between the PS Vita & PS4 together, that isn't already available with the PS3 now. Remote Play sucks - it does nothing, if you ask me. And there isn't much games out there yet that allow Cross-Play between PS3 & Vita players.
Back to top Go down
DatGreenTea
☆☆
DatGreenTea

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a Handheld Console   Thoughts on a Handheld Console I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 12:12 am

If that's all there is to it, then it is a bit unsettling and unfortunate. The Vita does seem very solid and appears to have a sure-success, considering all of the spotlight Sony has been trying to give it. I can't help but think that Remote Play is just like the Kinect: gets serious funding and sponsorship from Microsoft, though performs horribly. Not necessarily that it performs horribly, but that no one (first and third party) found a way to integrate it well, and really make good use of it.
Back to top Go down
memphiskite
memphiskite

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a Handheld Console   Thoughts on a Handheld Console I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 12:37 am

Well, the only big feature I can see with the Vita is that it's capable of playing PS3 games on the go with ease (if the handling of the portable console works for you). Plus I hearing news that it will be able to handle certain PS4 games as well.

Nah, Remote Play doesn't even compare to the Kinect features. It's more like the Wii U pad but only worse. You just connect a Vita or PSP to the PS3/PS4, and use it as an alternative screen. Most of the games on the PS3 however, don't work on this set-up so it's kinda pointless really, though I haven't really tried all kinds of games on the PSN.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on a Handheld Console   Thoughts on a Handheld Console I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on a Handheld Console
Page 1 of 1