Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Anime Nerds...UNITE!

Go down 
+49
tacodeman
BayushiKira
Zerion
ninjastomp
GitD16
Maggot
ATB
dancingcrane
ElysianField
stragmagius
caos4u2
rygar
HighClassTopHat
Roatanhi
Junichirou
yvettevanderv
fang24601
The6thToe
Kimika9394
MazinKaiser21
Yoruichi
Cuny
[taeiou]
po1102
Fanta_Lover
Frission
LeviathanTM
Kirisute-Gomen
heartunderbiade
tomoyo
kyaaya
gaillardia
HoundR
themadmanazn
memphiskite
KeyBlade
Br4dford
tav1990
chris58jo
M60A1
darkhealz
TypeAlpha
predator852
aszutai
Xzaral
luvdapeace
ChibiLeen
NotAPieceOfPie
aubade888
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Would You Be Interested In A Weekly Anime Event (Check The First Post For Info)
Hellz Yes!
Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_vote_lcap89%Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_vote_rcap
 89% [ 24 ]
Nah, I'm too busy
Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_vote_lcap11%Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 27

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
fang24601

fang24601

Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 1:19 pm

1. One piece
2. Black butler
3. Fairy tail
4. Rosario + Vampire
5. Soul eater
Back to top Go down
fang24601

fang24601

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 1:20 pm

1. One piece
2. Black butler
3. Fairy tail
4. Rosario + Vampire
5. Soul eater
Back to top Go down
yvettevanderv

yvettevanderv

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2013 4:49 am

only anime ive watched are naruto, fairy tale and angel beats haha don't have much time to watch more:(

angel beats has only like 14 episodes
Back to top Go down
Junichirou

Junichirou

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2013 5:02 am

Guess I'll drop a short listing of my favorite anime/OVAs (some, anyhow), but I'm afraid a good deal of it betrays my age. Laughing

In no particular order:

Bubblegum Crisis (the original, not Crash, not 2040!)
Record of Lodoss War (again, the original)
Bakuen Campus Guardress
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Ruin Explorer Fam & Ihrie
Last Exile
Gunbuster (as made evident by my Avatar!)
Mushishi
Haunted Junction
Gate Keepers/Gate Keepers 21

...and just about anything by Studio Ghibli.

I -do- watch newer stuff, but I find a lot of it just doesn't grab me like some of the older anime. Still amuses, however.
Back to top Go down
Roatanhi
☆☆
Roatanhi

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 9:46 am

I, too, can't really pick absolute favorites but I'll fire off a list of ones I don't mind watching over and over (and over) again~

Ouran High School Host Club
Saiunkoku Monogatari (okay, I lied. This one might be is THE favorite. Anime. Manga. GNs. ALL THE THINGS. I'm even working on translating the GNs but that's very slow as I'm rusty on my Japanese and have to look up everything.)
Full Metal Panic! - particularly ep12 of Fumoffu; I laughed myself to tears the first time I watched that.
Nodame Cantabile
Fruits Basket (pity it didn't cover the whole manga)
Skip Beat!
Victorian Romance Emma
Soul Eater (more manga, teehee FemSoul~)
Kuroshitsuji

Movie: Howl's Moving Castle. I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched that... ^^;;; I like all the Miyazaki films but I love everything about Howl, including the book it's based off of!

Genre(s): Reverse harem (lol). Comedy. Historical. Josei. Just give me something with a lot of pretty guys in it and I'm good (and probably why I like the pretty male cards in Fanta eheheh). Recommend any? Very Happy

Also, there are some anime that I just cannot stand despite adoring the manga. Kamisama Hajimemashita and KareKano to name two off the top of my head. I also have a love/hate relationship with Code Geass -- I appreciate the awesome story but ermahgerd, when certain things happened (ep22-23) in R1, I stopped watching until the end of R2 was out and was "encouraged." XD

Also-Also I tend to read waaaaaaaaaaay more manga/manhwa/manhua now that we have a Terrible Internet with a Terrible Cap. Crying or Very sad My Batoto follows are getting out of hand.
Back to top Go down
HighClassTopHat

HighClassTopHat

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 3:54 pm

I suppose I'll list some?

I've seen a couple of these listed already, and some of them not at all (given, I skimmed)

In terms of rewatchability, since this thread was originally about the weekly anime watching thing:
Nichijou
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys (Danshi koukousei no nichijou)
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Toradora
Gurren Lagann
Welcome to the NHK
Mawaru Penguindrum

As for some others that might not do as well watching as a group (more details that get missed), but are still great:
The -monogatari series (bakemono, nisemono)
Katanagatari
Kara no Kyoukai
Fate/Zero
Madoka Magica
Baccano
Durarara

And of course, the Miyazaki films. Which would also go under "rewatchable". I have an updated MAL for anyone curious :V
Username there is the same as my username here (not allowed to post links, still new to the forum)
Back to top Go down
http://highclasstophat.tumblr.com
rygar

PostSubject: My favs   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 8:08 pm

1. Code Geass
2. FMA
3. Darker than Black
4. Gurren Lagaan
5. Mawara Penguindrum
6. Eureka Seven
7. Cowboy Bebop
And paranoia agent was alright. I've watched way too many to have a set favorite. Those are just ones that i felt i really liked.
Back to top Go down
caos4u2
☆☆☆
caos4u2

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 12:42 am

I love this! Anime is way better than any American cartoon mmmm except Avatar the Last Airbender. Love that series. But I guess from childhhood to now these would be my favorites not in any particular order
1. Sailormoon
2. Fullmental
3. Fullmental Brotherhood
4. Death Note (which by far is my fav of all time)
5. Bleach
6. Blood
7. Soul Eater
8. Witchblade
9. Rosario + vampire
10. Avatar The Last Airbender

I debated on whether or not to add Devil May Cry in there. I guess 10 just isn't enough Sad

Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQccIMF_Oqt1FXBvwfG_ZC03nPs7kuNYlL4df7H0KLn4bEYLRC
Back to top Go down
HighClassTopHat

HighClassTopHat

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 5:25 am

>Fullmental

All the way crazy.

Don't sell western animation short though! It's great to be into anime, but it doesn't have to mean it's better than the alternative.

It's better to keep an open mind. You'll be surprised what you'll find in things you once overlooked!
Back to top Go down
caos4u2
☆☆☆
caos4u2

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 am

aubade888 wrote:
predator852 wrote:
Dont want to put a damper on anyones mood here, but I have a question that my anime fanatics refuse to answer because it offends them:

I've watched the more sucessful American anime casually, my favorite was Naruto, although I feel like it would be Bleach if I watched enough to know what was going on... (I've been told that like The Boondocks, the two shows I just mention have become almost pseudo-anime in most hardcore anime fanbases, but they're the only ones I really like) and I feel as if for me, anime has a very fatal flaw:

Emotion is so, either overdone or telegraphed with the different lines and exaggerated facial expressions that it sort of takes away from the moment.

So my question is whether or not the fact that emotion is almost never an underlying tone in the dialouge, or projected by subtle action, like in other forms of media, was a planned force in the beginning of anime/ it was something that came about to accent the raw sort of nature that bleeds through most anime + manga, or it is stylized that way not to pay homage to some of the greats, who lacked the ability to include emotion in another way?

Good question! No dampening at all! Also keep in mind that many people don't watch dubs because they have to modify facial expressions to get characters to speak in English. Also the examples of what you watched are called Shonen, meaning it's made for a demographic of young boys to teens. I'm an adult and I still watch it, but some of the emotion you see may be for the sake of comedy. If you watch something a bit "artsier" there is less of that.

I am not a sociology or philsophy major or anything, so I may not be qualified to answer, but I have a few impressions. Asian culture is heavily influenced by Confusicanism which encourages an individual to be less focused on their identity, and more focused on the needs of their community. A blunt way of saying this is that Asian culture is less focused on individualism, and more focused on how to be a good citizen. For example, in China an entire village would assist a bright child and their family, so that if they scored high on the Imperial exam they would be able to help their town.

I think that Naruto differs from Spiderman, in that there is one strong person, but there is also a focus on his community and their individual abilities. I notice this in a lot of Shonen; fairy tail, one piece, bleach, etc. Naruto isn't the only focus of the show with super powers, and often he needs to put his own needs aside for the needs of his village. Still, the lead hero is valued and recognized by their society.

I think that any aspect of a culture is a reflection of the society in which it was created. Japanese students are expected to be focused on their studies, and less focused on expressing emotion. I think that anime is an outlet for them to have fun, and see a model of how an individual can be outgoing but also valuable to their society. So I guess the expression of emotion in anime is like a fantasy world ideal for how they wish their societal interactions could be?

However this could just be my bias as a westerner in interpreting their culture.

I don't feel that you are being biased, but just interpreting what you are viewing. You basically are being an anthropologist of Japanese anime culture. I think your interpretation is accurate and logical. I have always seen a more prominent display of over exaggerated emotion in a more comedic situation. So it is just based on what type of anime you are watching. Personally I enjoy the exaggeration, I am not too fond of serious situations and giving the viewer a break in seriousness has a nice flow to it. Thanks for your great and well thought out answer to the question.
Back to top Go down
caos4u2
☆☆☆
caos4u2

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 am

Is anyone aware of another anime similar to Death Note in cleverness. I love smart and creative anime and I am always on the look out for more. So if anyone knows of one, hook me up. ^_^
Back to top Go down
HighClassTopHat

HighClassTopHat

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 2:34 am

caos4u2 wrote:
Is anyone aware of another anime similar to Death Note in cleverness. I love smart and creative anime and I am always on the look out for more. So if anyone knows of one, hook me up. ^_^
If you're going for cleverness, in my opinion few anime top Nisio Isin's works (Bakemonogatari, Katanagatari, and Medaka Box). His stuff tends to be clever in a different way than Death Note, though. A lot of the wit shows through in the comedy and idle banter between characters, but the stories themselves are deceptively well-thought out, too.

If you're looking for something cerebral and dramatic, you might enjoy Code Geass if you haven't seen it. Fate/Zero also shares a similar serious tone.

I haven't seen them yet, but based on what I've heard you might also like Steins;Gate and Maoyu Maou Yuusha. The latter I've been told goes really in depth with political themes, but that was just one facet of it my friend told me about.

Hope this helps :V
Back to top Go down
caos4u2
☆☆☆
caos4u2

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 pm

HighClassTopHat wrote:
caos4u2 wrote:
If you're going for cleverness, in my opinion few anime top Nisio Isin's works (Bakemonogatari, Katanagatari, and Medaka Box). His stuff tends to be clever in a different way than Death Note, though. A lot of the wit shows through in the comedy and idle banter between characters, but the stories themselves are deceptively well-thought out, too.

If you're looking for something cerebral and dramatic, you might enjoy Code Geass if you haven't seen it. Fate/Zero also shares a similar serious tone.

I haven't seen them yet, but based on what I've heard you might also like Steins;Gate and Maoyu Maou Yuusha. The latter I've been told goes really in depth with political themes, but that was just one facet of it my friend told me about.

Hope this helps :V

Your awesome =^_^= I will totally check out. I haven't seen any of those. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
caos4u2
☆☆☆
caos4u2

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 pm

HighClassTopHat wrote:
>Fullmental

All the way crazy.

Don't sell western animation short though! It's great to be into anime, but it doesn't have to mean it's better than the alternative.

It's better to keep an open mind. You'll be surprised what you'll find in things you once overlooked!

ok I'll take you up on that. Any suggestions? And please don't include Sponge Bob, Danny phantom (of which I loved...lol) power puff girls, dexters lab, don't get me wrong these are great shows, but these are shows to kill time with no real story and a bunch of fillers. I want an anime with depth and body and I am just not seeing with western cartoons.
Back to top Go down
stragmagius

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Just a few off the top of my head... huge Slayers fan, one of the few anime that I actually prefer the dub... Lisa Ortiz just nails Lina perfectly for me... Also love Clannad & After Story... Gets me right in the feels... as for stuff I've been watching recently, I just finished A Channel and Kyakko, both which were pretty decent, next up I think I'm going to watch Sword Art Online.
Back to top Go down
ElysianField
☆☆☆☆☆☆
ElysianField

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 6:08 am

i love watching anime..

right now i'm following 5 animes.

Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?
Blast of Tempest
Fairy tail
Naruto Shippuden
One piece

i started watching anime a few years ago and currently i watched 11,050 episodes combined.

i keep looking for new things when i'm bored so there are days that i watch 8+ hours a day if i have nothing else to do.
Back to top Go down
dancingcrane

dancingcrane

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 pm

ChibiLeen, anyone who could say Fruits Basket is balm for the soul, is my kind of person. I also sympathize with the no time thing. I've been watching anime/reading manga for 30 years, but don't watch nearly as much anymore. I have five kids, and if I watched everything I wanted to watch, I would never have time to write. That being said, I'm always looking for good recommendations. If something is that good, I want to make time.

Favorites, not necessarily in order:

Fruits Basket
Read or Die
Hayao Miyazaki anything
Vision of Escaflowne
Tenchi Muyo
Saiyuki
Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood supposed 2 be closer to manga, not seen it yet, either)
Wolf's Rain
Kikaider
Blackjack
Cyborg009
Bleach (only the material with Hanatarou in it, but after soul society arc, u barely see him again. He's the epitome of 'courage is action DESPITE fear'. My love for characters like him is unending, and if you know more like him, please, let me know.)
Back to top Go down
caos4u2
☆☆☆
caos4u2

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 pm

dancingcrane wrote:
ChibiLeen, anyone who could say Fruits Basket is balm for the soul, is my kind of person. I also sympathize with the no time thing. I've been watching anime/reading manga for 30 years, but don't watch nearly as much anymore. I have five kids, and if I watched everything I wanted to watch, I would never have time to write. That being said, I'm always looking for good recommendations. If something is that good, I want to make time.

Favorites, not necessarily in order:

Fruits Basket
Read or Die
Hayao Miyazaki anything
Vision of Escaflowne
Tenchi Muyo
Saiyuki
Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood supposed 2 be closer to manga, not seen it yet, either)
Wolf's Rain
Kikaider
Blackjack
Cyborg009
Bleach (only the material with Hanatarou in it, but after soul society arc, u barely see him again. He's the epitome of 'courage is action DESPITE fear'. My love for characters like him is unending, and if you know more like him, please, let me know.)

Make time for Brotherood. You learn indepth about fullmental and AL. It's a more grown up version and I never understood why they made two different series. Honestly I didn't even want to watch it, thinking how different could it really be. I am glad my husband made me though. It's awesome!
Back to top Go down
dancingcrane

dancingcrane

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks caos4u2! That's exactly the kind of recommendation I'm looking for. I love meaningful stories, great characters and depth. Show me one really well-developed character, make me care about what happens to them, and I'll watch a show just for them.

Almost forgot. Try 'Avatar: the Last Airbender' and 'the Legend of Korra'. They are western but with a very anime flavor. Great characters good stories, definitely worth it.
Back to top Go down
The6thToe
☆☆
The6thToe

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 1:39 pm

hey caos4u2, dunno if you're still looking for anime similar to Death Note, but you might want to look into One Outs if you're purely looking for that psychological warfare. It makes baseball look AMAZING.
You could also try Monster if you're looking for those overtones of moral ambiguity. I found it to be REALLY slow, but you might enjoy it if you have the patience for it. Something like 74 episodes.

dancingcrane, you should look into Hajime no Ippo. It's an old school anime about boxing. Great character development for both the main character and the whole cast. Something like 75 eps for the first series, an OVA, a special, and it was so good they brought it back 8 years later for another 26 episodes. Even the manga has been going strong since 1989. I can't tell you how many times I teared up because of the dedication and heart the characters showed. Even the "villains" are sympathetic and have totally legitimate motives. If I were a more motivated person, it would have totally changed my life. lol.
Back to top Go down
caos4u2
☆☆☆
caos4u2

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 8:27 pm

dancingcrane wrote:
Thanks caos4u2! That's exactly the kind of recommendation I'm looking for. I love meaningful stories, great characters and depth. Show me one really well-developed character, make me care about what happens to them, and I'll watch a show just for them.

Almost forgot. Try 'Avatar: the Last Airbender' and 'the Legend of Korra'. They are western but with a very anime flavor. Great characters good stories, definitely worth it.

Ha ha, as matter of fact I have been a serious fan of Aang since the show premiered! Sokka being one of my favorite characters (=^_^=) Now when they came out with Korra it was an OMG moment. Our whole family was finally able to enjoy a wholesome show again, with great characters and story lines, without worries. I am just sorry they didn't feel the need for fillers with Korra. Sometimes you can obtain good character development from those "fillers".

Back to top Go down
caos4u2
☆☆☆
caos4u2

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 pm

The6thToe wrote:
hey caos4u2, dunno if you're still looking for anime similar to Death Note, but you might want to look into One Outs if you're purely looking for that psychological warfare. It makes baseball look AMAZING.
You could also try Monster if you're looking for those overtones of moral ambiguity. I found it to be REALLY slow, but you might enjoy it if you have the patience for it. Something like 74 episodes.

dancingcrane, you should look into Hajime no Ippo. It's an old school anime about boxing. Great character development for both the main character and the whole cast. Something like 75 eps for the first series, an OVA, a special, and it was so good they brought it back 8 years later for another 26 episodes. Even the manga has been going strong since 1989. I can't tell you how many times I teared up because of the dedication and heart the characters showed. Even the "villains" are sympathetic and have totally legitimate motives. If I were a more motivated person, it would have totally changed my life. lol.

I am always looking, and thank you for the recommendation. I am making a list of all the titles people have suggested. One outs I am defiantly curious about and I will move that one to the to of the list. Thanks again. bounce
Back to top Go down
ATB
☆☆☆
ATB

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 10:21 am

Watching anime with fanta players?
This is mildly amusing.
Back to top Go down
Maggot
☆☆
Maggot

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 11:56 am

Was just about to say I love Shaman king, but then realised the actual Anime was udder cowface. No
Back to top Go down
GitD16
☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Maggot wrote:
Was just about to say I love Shaman king, but then realised the actual Anime was udder cowface. No

What's udder cowface? (I don't think I really want to know the answer though, I'll just take it as something negative). I love Shaman King, but not the anime's ending. Nice soundtracks though, and Hao/Zeke and Yoh are too cool. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anime Nerds...UNITE!   Anime Nerds...UNITE! - Page 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anime Nerds...UNITE!
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next