Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Is this game all about melee units?

Go down 
+3
ggorrell77
Herault
superk4y
7 posters
AuthorMessage
superk4y

superk4y

Is this game all about melee units? Empty
PostSubject: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 1:36 am

I mean this is a good and addictive game really, and despite how most of us hate the fact it was so obvious a cash ruled over effort game, we still get pretty attached to it, don't we? Smile
It's just that the more I play, the more I saw the imbalance between units in the game. Couldn't help but to feel like it was only designed for the sake of melee units.

My points are :
1. Magic units didn't do any good to the game anymore. They were penalized in speed, didn't get any notable benefit like extra damage or unique skill other than being a ranged unit so that you can put them in second row of normal battle (which is not really essential to the game) or merely being the last line to be hit in an arena type event. Certain event like Colo PvP, applying a mage in your team or even have a companion ally with mage as lead proved to be fatal. Missile units share more or less the same fate like magic units although I can see many still preferred missile to magic units.

2. There are a bunch of new arena skill being introduced. Some of which still made us wonder what it really does and fanta didn't seem to bother providing any explanation. And while it was exciting, unfortunately almost all of them applies only to melee unit (except defense order for Urd)

3. Base on number 1&2, although market are terrible currently but we can see that beside the 7*, most of the card that could retain value is that of melee unit with speed and certain skills. Magic and Missile units are way cheaper than melee and took a dive very quickly too. Even the 7* which drop tremendously is Ethel, which again is a magic unit. The most recent ridiculous price to happen to rank card was the case of Papyrus and Miroir. But looking into those units again, the speed, the single skill and the dc, one will not surprised at all. 

Ok, I am not a game designer and not even close, but all I'm saying is there are many things they could do to help balancing the units. Maybe introducing a different set of skills exclusively for missile and magic unit (beside defense or speed order), or they could just lower the dc for all the missile and magic unit if they are for supporting purpose in the game. It's just that I found it ridiculous while the game introduced 3 type of units, I can see it only favors melee unit and feels like they are abandoning others. Every other game I know which applied different kind of units or characters, each are rocking their own different attributes/skills to make them unique comparing to each other. In Fanta I simply don't see such thing or only vaguely.

Anyway, this is just a thing bugging me which I wrote in my idle time. I might be wrong, I just like to hear what other player's thought about this. Smile
Back to top Go down
Herault
☆☆
Herault

PostSubject: Re: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 7:54 am

My suggestion is to make the three unit types into a paper, scissors, rock type of relationship ,something like pokemon. Melee take extra damage from magic but reduce damage from missile. This will force people to use different types of units.
Back to top Go down
ggorrell77
☆☆☆
ggorrell77

PostSubject: Re: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 8:04 am

The only time missile and magic units get a fair shake is in boss battles. Bosses tend to have weaknesses toward certain types of units. Even then just as many of them are weak to melee as are weak to missile or magic.

The main reason missile and magic are seen as weak is because there are so many fast units. To compete in most events you want B speed units (or better). There are no B speed missile or magic units.
Back to top Go down
Belhyde
☆☆
Belhyde

PostSubject: Re: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 8:37 am

At least this game is not all about Charles xD
Back to top Go down
Ghost_Star
☆☆☆☆☆☆
Ghost_Star

PostSubject: Re: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:45 am

imo your being a little short sighted, remember 2 months ago when the only thing being released were magic 6*'s? The game is starting to focus on GA type events that did not exist a year ago and some older units have been updated with new skills so my opinion is that events are changing a lot so these new skills although new now will be old hat soon and will fit better into the game soon. These are refreshing and keeping things from becoming boring and i am hoping that they will fit into a longer term plan for the game. So things may seem unbalanced, and there will always be a bit of unbalancing but each unit type has its strengths / weaknesses.
Indeed because Magic units are so slow they are mostly useless in Colo events, but because of their range they are indeed a needed part to most team make ups in Arena events. And really the speed of units does not matter much in Trials and Boss battles can vary so much you have to have a magic unit on hand... a 7* boss in a training event with a A def rating against melee would make melee units useless, just like putting a mage in your colo team. I remember the first few trials of this game were unbeatable, for me at least, without having an ally leader rouge (magic AA).
Anyway I hardly think because one class is better in some events rather than others makes the whole game just about Melee units.
Back to top Go down
Abyssight
☆☆☆☆
Abyssight

PostSubject: Re: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 12:18 pm

The advantage of sitting in backrow in Arena is far outweighed by the extra turns that you can get with B+ speed Melee. You can partially counter Area Attacks with Iron Wall. But the disadvantage of conceding turns in a 30 turn combat is huge.

The real reason for using Missile/Magic in Arena is cost. You can get several 15 to 20 DC Missile/Magic 6*s for the cost of 1 Charles or Lud. But those Isis and Nanaca are not going to be better than the faster Melee 6*s with same DC.

In general you are better off with Melee units because they are good for every type of event. You also need several of them to be any good in Colo and Arena. Missile and Magic are far more situational, and in most cases you need only 1 unit of these types. Get a Magnus and you are set for all your Magic unit needs. You can count on allies to do the rest.
Back to top Go down
matakaw
☆☆
matakaw

PostSubject: Re: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Missile and Magic is taking advantage against Melee if Fanta will declare new events that requires long range units.

If that happened, the players will get a lot of choices.
Back to top Go down
superk4y

superk4y

PostSubject: Re: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 12:39 am

Ghost_Star wrote:
imo your being a little short sighted, remember 2 months ago when the only thing being released were magic 6*'s? The game is starting to focus on GA type events that did not exist a year ago and some older units have been updated with new skills so my opinion is that events are changing a lot so these new skills although new now will be old hat soon and will fit better into the game soon. These are refreshing and keeping things from becoming boring and i am hoping that they will fit into a longer term plan for the game. So things may seem unbalanced, and there will always be a bit of unbalancing but each unit type has its strengths / weaknesses.
Indeed because Magic units are so slow they are mostly useless in Colo events, but because of their range they are indeed a needed part to most team make ups in Arena events. And really the speed of units does not matter much in Trials and Boss battles can vary so much you have to have a magic unit on hand... a 7* boss in a training event with a A def rating against melee would make melee units useless, just like putting a mage in your colo team. I remember the first few trials of this game were unbeatable, for me at least, without having an ally leader rouge (magic AA).
Anyway I hardly think because one class is better in some events rather than others makes the whole game just about Melee units.
Well, I appreciate your insight, but I'm afraid you're missing the idea. I am not saying that magic or missile units are completely useless. I agree there were times they may came in handy just like Monica in Sea Paradise event, or in crisis quest and some boss battles where the monster are D resistance to magic, but does it make the same impact when it came to time when you're participating or trying to rank in certain event, most notably colo and arena type event?

Let's put it in a different way, honestly said, which is the most painful currently in game, is it having a team without a single melee unit, missile unit or magic unit if we are to participate in events that existing now? Unless fanta come on later with events which are more friendly towards missile and magic units or implementing several skills which are only exclusive to missile or magic units, I would say that melee units will still very much dominating the game.

And to quote and sum in better words is of what Abyssight posted :
Abyssight wrote:
In general you are better off with Melee units because they are good for every type of event. You also need several of them to be any good in Colo and Arena. Missile and Magic are far more situational, and in most cases you need only 1 unit of these types.
Now that is what I refer to as 'imbalance', and yes I'm a little exaggerating in the topic title. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
superk4y

superk4y

PostSubject: Re: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 4:59 am

Glad to see that the new event unit Senti and the new reward unit Trystis were 6* missile units to be granted with arena skill Iron Wall and Triple Attack. That was something new. Smile

Hopefully they work something on Magic units next.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this game all about melee units?   Is this game all about melee units? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this game all about melee units?
Page 1 of 1