Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?

Go down 
+3
pknott
Soulstalker
sGabe4
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sGabe4
☆☆☆☆☆☆
sGabe4

AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? Empty
PostSubject: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 8:52 pm

so lately I've been seeing a lot of shady accounts along with trusted ones doing so called auctions for cards, usually LE and valuable cards
the trick is, that you have to 'buy in' in order to participate
usually i'm seeing 1 TE for buy in
Is this a scam or are sellers really desperate to make a few coins?

another similar one is where "sellers" say that they will do a lottery for a certain card
again, buy in is 1TE usually and then the seller will pick a winner "randomly" to win a card

what's up with these? they SCREAM scammers to me, but a LOT of people are biting apparently

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Soulstalker

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 9:25 pm

That's sounds more like a raffle instead of an auction. And I would be hesitant about any raffle/lottery because there's no way to know if the seller "randomly" pick their friends to win.

However, there are legit auctions that don't have any "buy in" fees. Those are perfectly fine since you'd only pay if you won the auction.
Back to top Go down
pknott
☆☆
pknott

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 10:59 pm

Raffle. You give me 1 TE. You do not win. You gave me TE. I do not ever give away any cards, but I get a friend to say he won.

Buy in auction. You give me 1 TE. My friend quotes a ridiculously high number. Again, no cards ever changed hands, but you already gave me 1 TE.

Scams.
Back to top Go down
sGabe4
☆☆☆☆☆☆
sGabe4

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 3:37 am

that's what I thought
thanks for confirming
Back to top Go down
Happiemealz
☆☆☆
Happiemealz

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 3:51 am

General rule of thumb is if it's too good to be true, it probably is. The minute you complete a trade with TE, whether it's 1 or 100, and get nothing in return, should be a clear sign that something's not right.

There *might* be honest raffle organizers out there, but the risk far outweighs the returns.

Edit: What am I saying, I meant raffles
Back to top Go down
NotAPieceOfPie
☆☆
NotAPieceOfPie

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 9:40 am

I got lucky for a raffle for a WWU. It was canceled and I got 6 te back, 1 te more than I paid for the fee.

But that will never happen again. Participating in raffles and auctions (if they have a buy-in fee) have huge risks, and you'll most likely not win anyways.
Back to top Go down
wowyogurt
☆☆☆☆☆☆
wowyogurt

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Heads up guys. There's a new "contest" in the trading center with a buy-in fee...
Back to top Go down
masta518
☆☆☆
masta518

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 3:40 pm

I don't think people would have the balls to scam on this forum :p
Back to top Go down
sGabe4
☆☆☆☆☆☆
sGabe4

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 4:04 pm

let's hope they are much smarter than that
otherwise....
Back to top Go down
pknott
☆☆
pknott

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Participation, creation, and advertising of these things directly contributes to a scam friendly environment. Just say no to time separated deals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?   AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AUCTIONS: new ways of making TE - possible scams?
Page 1 of 1