Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

The thing about auctions

Go down 
+3
lucentSwallowtail
NapkinPower
149342133j
7 posters
AuthorMessage
149342133j

The thing about auctions Empty
PostSubject: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 9:19 am

I try to attend a lot of auctions to look for nice cards I want to buy, but there are some things about auctions that I've been noticing.

1. Don't talk about fantasitrade
A lot of auctioneers say something like, "Oh, this card is worth [...] on the market." To me, that's not how auctions work. The whole point of an auction is to get the best offer on a card compared to other people. If the people at the auction don't want to get the card at too high a price, that's how they feel.

2. Don't be too offensive at an auction
Some bidders attempt to speed up auctions because they get annoyed at seeing cards they don't want. Auctions take time and effort so be a bit kind to the auctioneer. Also, if they want to end an auction early because they don't feel like they are getting good offers don't bother them for that.

I've had to give away cards at "low prices" deemed by the market, and I don't feel too bad about it because when you have an auction you kind of have to expect it.

That being said, I wonder if there's anything else that needs to be said, or if the things that I've said are incorrect. I always enjoy learning more about this game and to have a good time playing it.
Back to top Go down
NapkinPower
☆☆
NapkinPower

PostSubject: Re: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 1:49 pm

I get annoyed by a flood of allies talking up every card that comes up for auction. I know it's good marketing, but it bugs me.

Also, I see people complain about allies bidding and calling it "cheating." I think that should stop. An ally has as much right to bid as anyone. If you think they're just tryin to artificially inflate the price, stop bidding and move in with your life.
Back to top Go down
lucentSwallowtail
☆☆☆
lucentSwallowtail

PostSubject: Re: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 1:23 pm

149342133j wrote:

I've had to give away cards at "low prices" deemed by the market, and I don't feel too bad about it because when you have an auction you kind of have to expect it.

This. I see some auctioneers pull cards out of bidding, because they're not getting the prices they want. If that's what they want to do, then they shouldn't be holding an auction IMO. -_-
Back to top Go down
CommandoBear3K

CommandoBear3K

PostSubject: Re: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 pm

From what I've noticed, the allies that say things like "this is going for a really low price," and "soooo cheap," are the ones that are having their card auctioned and want to make a little more out of it.  It does irk me a little if they keep spamming it, but if they felt it was going for too cheap, they should just sell it for the price they want rather than trying to auction it.
Back to top Go down
KuroStar
☆☆☆☆☆☆
KuroStar

PostSubject: Re: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 7:23 pm

CommandoBear3K wrote:
From what I've noticed, the allies that say things like "this is going for a really low price," and "soooo cheap," are the ones that are having their card auctioned and want to make a little more out of it.  It does irk me a little if they keep spamming it, but if they felt it was going for too cheap, they should just sell it for the price they want rather than trying to auction it.

Then again, it's not as easy as you think since everyone wants to buy units based on auction prices.
Back to top Go down
CommandoBear3K

CommandoBear3K

PostSubject: Re: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 7:54 pm

KuroStar wrote:
CommandoBear3K wrote:

Then again, it's not as easy as you think since everyone wants to buy units based on auction prices.

Oh I believe you, I have hard times selling cards as well. I just feel auctions wouldn't get so many of the spam of cards being too cheap if people realized what you said: that everyone wants to buy based on auction prices.
Back to top Go down
Ryosuke
☆☆
Ryosuke

PostSubject: Re: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:25 pm

I think you forget something really important. Many people auction because they want pure instead of mix, and at the same time they want to get it quick instead of wasting hours to sell.

For instance, let say I am trying to sell a mlb 6*. 90% of the time I will be getting offer with another 6* or another 6*+; and it is very rare for people to pay me with TE/Pot right away. Even then, most of the time it will take at least 30 minutes to get an offer unless it is something that is in high demand.

About people buying based on auction price, personally I don't see anything wrong about that IF it is for a common cards. For instance, cards like Vlad, Petra, Clarissa, and other older pullable 6* get auctioned all the time, so I will never buy them higher than their auction price. On the other hands, more rare cards like Neon should never be sold at auction price because you don't see her being auction all the time.
Back to top Go down
xfalconhunterx
☆☆☆
xfalconhunterx

PostSubject: Re: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:31 pm

As a bidder:

* If you see me bid in an auction and then you come to my wall to spam an ad, welcome to my blacklist. This is just rude and asinine and I'll respond to it accordingly. If you're just looking to advertise your junk, do it somewhere other than my wall. I'll come to you - HENCE WHY I'M BIDDING IN AN AUCTION.

* Don't rely on "sniping" - or waiting to the last second to place a bid. It slows the whole process down and it causes delays due to almost-winning bidders opening the trade and having to wonder what's going on. If you're going to go higher, go higher. Waiting to the last second isn't like eBay, you're not gonna magically steal it unless the almost-winning bidder is no longer paying attention.

* "Sooo cheap!" "C'Mon guys! So valuable!" No. No one's bidding cause no one wants the card. You're holding on to vanity crap. Get over it. Anyone whining like this just makes me want to stop bidding any further. Promoting the card "wow, great bargain!" or "amazing deal!" is fine. But the whining is tiresome and immature.

* Hijacking - if you post an ad in the middle of the auction (intentionally, and it's obvious who's intentional and who's accidental) I'mma blacklist you. When I hold my auction, I don't have to suffer you muddying up the wall. And frankly, I'm not losing out on any potential bidders that I care about.

* Vultures - people that swoop in on bidders in ongoing auctions for a unit. Bidder offers 50 and is top bid at that moment. Vulture swoops in on the wall and says 'hey, I'll sell her for 55.' Blacklisted. Note that I'm not referring to post-bidding offers, just current bidding offers.

As an auctioneer:

* If you're going to bid and ask for a link, that's preferable. Makes things MUCH faster for everyone.

* I don't care what you think of the unit - bid or don't. Your opinion is of no use during the auction.

* Stick to a clock. Time it. Maybe even let the auction know that you're timing it (though I don't recommend disclosing the timeframe to avoid sniping morons.) If a bid comes in chronologically after you've called "SOLD" it's too late. It disrupts the integrity of the auction if you keep re-opening bidding after a last second bid comes in once you've already called a winning bidder.

* Planning and setup: Spread the word everywhere that you can, and make sure people know. Have a list of the units up for auction available before the auction so that you can retail fickle or impatient bidders. Try not to hold an auction during a scheduled game event time (Crisis Time, etc.) Try not to overlap with other auctions if you can help it.
Back to top Go down
149342133j

PostSubject: Re: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 8:58 pm

Quote :
* Vultures - people that swoop in on bidders in ongoing auctions for a unit. Bidder offers 50 and is top bid at that moment. Vulture swoops in on the wall and says 'hey, I'll sell her for 55.' Blacklisted. Note that I'm not referring to post-bidding offers, just current bidding offers.

I see this happen sometimes and it can be annoying to the auctioneer and the bidder. If Someone says "Hey, I'll sell this card for ... because the auction just had ..." It puts a bidder at a stressful decision of buying the cheap card and insulting the auctioneer or missing out on a good deal. (in my personal experience)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The thing about auctions   The thing about auctions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The thing about auctions
Page 1 of 1