Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?

Go down 
+4
Schdawn
The6thToe
Dizz1986
Sokku
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Sokku
☆☆☆☆☆
Sokku

Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? Empty
PostSubject: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 4:32 am

I'm planning to rap all Playstation 1 games that I really missed out on. Could anyone give me some insight on how quickly these RPG's can be rapped?

List them in ascending order!

1. Suikoden II
2. Final Fantasy Tactics
3. Breath of Fire III
4. Chrono Cross
5. Star Ocean II : The Second Story

That is my guess of how quick they can be rapped, with Suikoden II being the quickest and Star Ocean II being the longest.
Back to top Go down
Dizz1986

Dizz1986

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 am

omg you have amazing choises.

cant list them because hvnt played them all, only played and beat tactics, bof3 and chrono cross, out of those 3 cross is the longest, so play that last, so much to do there.

bof3 is so awesome and about 40 hour gameplay.

tactics should come in second because it will take you a while if u want to get everything and grind out some leveling.
Back to top Go down
The6thToe
☆☆
The6thToe

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:46 pm

lol if you do new game+ for chrono cross, you basically just have to get through the intro cinematics and you can skip straight to the final boss. 30 mins tops.
Back to top Go down
Schdawn
☆☆
Schdawn

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 5:23 pm

How about Legend of Mana?
You only need to finish one of the 3 main story line to open up the final dungeon, so it's pretty fast. Plus the game is so much fun to play.
Back to top Go down
niareme
☆☆
niareme

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 3:04 pm

I agree with Dizz about FFT, depends on how much of the game you want to finish.

Going through the main story line may not take too too long... but if you want to Master all the job classes and do all the tavern stuff and get all the extra items in Deep Dungeon, etc. then those will eat up a LOT of time (it's my favourite game and my main save file has been at the max number, so at least 100 hours poured in for that one alone haha).
Back to top Go down
Sokku
☆☆☆☆☆
Sokku

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks for the input guys! I think i'm going to start with FFT! Smile Such a good game!
Back to top Go down
DeathGU1Se
☆☆☆☆☆
DeathGU1Se

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 3:26 am

Tales of Phantasia
Tales of Destiny
Legend of Legaia
Xenogears
Legend of the Dragoon
Back to top Go down
Dmhlucky
☆☆
Dmhlucky

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 10:29 am

If you have a PSP the New FFT War of the Lions has 2 new jobs, Improved Incentive to level down and relevel units and some new units etc.
FFT is one of my Favorite games of all time. Its up there with Lufia 2 (i know a SNES Game, but its still a great game) as well as FF6 (FF3 in US) Terra, Locke etc..

When i get bored i got FF6 for GBA and try a low level Guide for a major challange.

But FFT, it can just be played so many ways. I still remember the first time i played it, the graphics were amazing for the time, the game play was great, and the Music was so captivating.

Also the PSP version allows for some PVP and interactive battles if you have friends or people you know who also have it in close proximity (sadly i don't XD)

The shortest ive played FFT is 100+ hrs, and i have yet to actually beat the game. (my Brother has, so i know how it ends) But i get roped up in leveling units, or delevdling/releveling units to make chars with better stats.

I have actually created spreadsheets for it (tells you how bored i can be heh)

But Great chouce with FFT, sorry for the ramble~
Back to top Go down
niareme
☆☆
niareme

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 10:22 am

And when you're finished with the original FFT or FFT:WotL, check out this site:
http://ffhacktics.com/

You can edit the original game ISO if you run emulators or backups, there are complete game re-hauls available on the forums there as well as game fixes (i.e. for the slowdown when there's a spell animation in the PSP version, typo fixes in the script, etc.)
Back to top Go down
predator852
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]
predator852

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 11:28 am

See now I have to go buy War of the Lions for my PsP...

Can someone extrapolate on this a little:

I already have final fantasy The Complete Collection for my PsP. It's the first and only FF game I've ever played. I love RPGs and whenever they come up in a conversation FF is usually one of the first mentioned.

And it's okay, but it's nothing like I thought it would be. Honestly, I was hoping it would be more like Fire Emblem, but it doesnt feel nearly as fluent as FE.

BUT the screenshots from War of the Lions and Tactics look more like FE than the one I own. Are they? Or are they closer to the gameplay in The Complete Collection?
Back to top Go down
niareme
☆☆
niareme

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 3:43 pm

Ah I've never played Fire Emblem but the gameplay in Final Fantasy Tactics is verrrry different from all the other "traditional" FFs (like the ones in Complete Collection).

Tactics is more like a strategy/war game? So in battle, instead of just selecting actions from a menu, you also have to position units on a grid, factoring in things like the type of the terrain, height of the terrain, using ranged attacks and AoE magic vs. moving to a panel near the enemy to perform a melee attack, etc.

There are dozens of job classes as well, and a big part of the game is developing units in different classes to build a balanced team whose skills synergize well with each other, all sorts of fun stuff like that.

...A LOT of time can be poured into FFT lol
Back to top Go down
Dmhlucky
☆☆
Dmhlucky

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 10:13 am

Final Fantasy tactics is one of my Favorite games because of the level of Detail you can put into playing it.
Games like Origional Final Fantasy, or any og the toher SNES FF titles (Barring Mystic Quest) all play the same basically. You enter a battle randomly (barring a few instances in FF6) And your party starts on 1 side of the screen (or split, or in middle in certain games under certain conditions ie Surround Attack, Preemptive attacks etc) You have timed action bars which once they charge you can attack. Or like in FF1, you have "rounds" where you select actions then they take place. This is the basic Battle System. A normal Battle will take 1 maybe 2-3 minutes depending on the difficulty.

Now, FFT is completely Different. You enter battles either Missions or Random battles on the map. There is no running around like in other RPG's. You move from "point" to "point" These points are either cities or Battle locations, and while landing on a battle location you can randonly engage in a battle.
The battles are large Grids with terrain and elevation playing factors in your actions and movement. Each character has a Movement and Jump number, which dictates how far/high they can move. These numbers can be augmented by accessories and skills.
You start by selecting your starting position out of roughly 10-12 options. You can deploy 4-5 Characters depending on the map.
The maps are on average about 15X15 Grids, which you will need to navigate to encounter the monsters. Similar to how you selected your starting positions, the monsters/enemies will have starting positions chosen by the AI.(also the enemy types and levels are chosen by the AI, their level is based on your highest Character's level)

Most staracters start with a movement stat of 3 or 4. This means you can move up to 3 or 4 Squares on the grid at a time, either to advance towards the monsters or run away from them. Your actions are also kept within the grid system. Most melee attacks have a 1 distance range, meaning you can attack in the 4 cardinal directions around your Unit. This is also the counter attack range for most abilities. Most Monsters will have a native counter abiliiy which will randomly activate when you attack them in range of it.
This is where some of the jobs specialties start to come out. Archer is a ranged attacker. They generally hit lower, but they are out of counter range as well as outof immediate attack range, and can attack things farther away.
Archers however cannot target the blockes directly next to themselves, but usually start 2 panels out in a circle around themselves. Their range is also dictated by their weapon and Height in comparrision to where they are aiming, but thats really involved.

Mages can also attack from a range, but their expend MP for their spells. They can usually case up to 4 or 5 panels away, and most spells are a 1 effect. 0 Panel effect is the single panel you target. ie 1 Suare. 1 effect is the terget panel and the 4 cardinal panels around it, ie a Plus sign, allowing mages to hit up to 5 targets at once like this. Some spells and Summoner have larger effects and will hit more targets, but effect 0 and 1 are majority of spells.
There is also 2 weapon classes which are melee range, but have a 2 panel range. spears and poles. This will also put said character out of the counter range.

Thats the main points of combat. There is a whole lot more that could be discussed, but its really better fi you just play the game and find out for yourself.
You get EXP and JP for every action you take. EXP will grant you physical levels from 1-99(you get more exp the higher the target of your action is) or an action to a target of the same level (or yourself) will give you 10 EXP. Kill shots, if i remember right, will give more.
JP will do 2 things. They will level up the Job you are on, and you can Spend JP to learn abilities and skills. (Magic is uncluded in these)
They are broken down into 4 categories. Action Abilities, is things you use, Cure, Steal gil, Jump, Summons etc. Reaction, things like counter, regeneration, parry, are abilities they will kick in when you are attacked or when certain conditions are met. Arrow Guard is a reaction ability that will avoid all arrow attacks, so its great Vs archers, but useless against magic and direct melee. Support abilities are things like Equip Sword, Gained JP Up (one of the most important support abilities, grants faster JP gain) Magic Attack +, Defense +. These are meant to augment your character, or allow them to use different items on other jobs. The Throw item Support ability allows other jobs to throw items like Chemist can. FInally Movement which is geared to raise your movement and jump stats, as well as other movement related things. Allowing you to walk on water and not recieve the movement penalty for it, Move restore HP restores 2 or 3 HP for every Block you travel.

Then like said above, there are 20+ jobs which you can navigate through, all having strengths and weaknesses. Some are very obvious, whiel others are more subtle. But all have some value.
Then you also have the Zodian Alignment within your Own group and the enemies which can help or hinder your attacks, damage, accuracy on spells etc.
FInally you also have Brave and faith stats, which will also enhance attacks, reaction abilities, magic power and resistance.

And ofc there are also genders, which have some slight statistical differences. Females will have slightly higher Magic stats, while males have slightly higher melee stats. But do not undervalue the use of a male mage or a female melee. (its also how Bard and Dancer are unlocked)

All in all its a fantastic game, with Hours of playtime, and an amazing replay value because you can play it so differently each time you play. Its also a very challanging game, and even with high leveled units, some of the battles are still just hard.

Its definatly a game you can get lost in, but its well worth it.

Anyway, ramble off~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?   Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which is the quickest PS1 RPG to rap out of these?
Page 1 of 1