Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading

Go down 
+8
herosmero
Onisunit
Stubub
ElysianField
rogaroga
kelvgoh
RedRivers
clocksprocket
12 posters
AuthorMessage
clocksprocket
Commando Chicklet [EPIC]
clocksprocket

How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading Empty
PostSubject: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Unfortunately, not everyone who is willing to trade with you may be honest, and it's important to be aware of how to lower your chances of being scammed.

• First, be aware that a trade can only hold five (5) items (be it cards, elixirs, potions, soul stones, or luna) at once. Because of this, the safest way to trade is to make sure the entire trade only uses 5 items, so that it may be completed in one go.
  • Occasionally, however, you may want to conduct a trade that involves more than 5 items. There are a few ways you can minimize your risk:

1. If you are the seller, have the buyer trade you the first part of the trade, and send them 1k luna in return. Then have them send the rest of the trade, and put your high-valued cards in that trade. That way, you'll get all that you bargained for.
    2. As the buyer, this process does expose you to some risk still. The best way to do it would be to put the lowest valued items in the first trade, then send the second trade over with the higher-valued items.
    3. You can also use our forum service called "Middlemen Incorporated", which is a way to escrow your trade. If the other party does not complete their part of the trade, your items are returned to you safely. See the thread for more information.

• One other common way (if not the most common way) to get scammed is album trades, where someone asks to quickly receive your card so they can archive it in their album. You send the trade over, accept, etcetera, but when it comes time for trading the cards back, lo-and-behold, they stop responding and you're stuck without your card, with no way to force them to give it back to you. There are a few ways to protect yourself in this case:

1. Require some kind of collateral, of equal or greater value to the card you're trading. If someone is asking to archive your 5* or 6*, require them to leave a comparable (or better) 5* or 6* with you in return. Or a comparable card plus elixirs, luna, what-have-you. That way, if they end up keeping your card, you'll at least have something left in your own hands.
    2. When in doubt, simply say no. If you don't want to lose your card, there is nothing wrong with keeping it close and not trading it to anyone, even if they say it'll be a minute or that you should trust them because you're allies. Remember, this is the most common method people get scammed!

Last edited by clocksprocket on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RedRivers
R. Ich. Rodent [Rare]
RedRivers

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 6:39 pm

A middleman is a great way to weed out those people who might be trying to do more then just make a trade. A dishonest player may tell you he is in too much of a rush to use a middleman, but really wants to trade you his twenty 4* for your one 5*. Then continues to tell you he wants you to put up the 5* in the first of the four trades. A clear sign that he could run with the 5* and only giving you five 4* in return.

If the players in too much of a rush to make a safe trade, then hes not afraid of being scammed, but more likely about to try a scam.

One good way of checking the integrity of a player is to do a makeshift background check. Look at the conversations he has recently had with other players. Begging, lowballing, arguing can all be indicators of a dishonest player. Not in all cases of course.

Don't let "You're my ally" be a reason to put yourself at risk either. Scammers will use the "ally" card any time it is favorable. Just yesterday I watched a guy beg another player to let him archive his 6*. He used the ally card, but the player rejected. Not long after I saw that same beggar with a 6* as his leader, and a diffferent player demanding he return it.

Bottom line is, never give anything without receiving equal or more in the same transaction.
Back to top Go down
clocksprocket
Commando Chicklet [EPIC]
clocksprocket

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Yep, RedRivers had a great addendum/bottom line. If you don't want to be scammed (especially through an "album archive" trade) then don't trade away a card without receiving its value back -- or simply don't trade at all. It's all right to say no, even to allies.

An ally of mine got scammed because she "album traded" her 5* and only got a 3* and 4* in return -- and the person kept her 5*. Please please please realize how common stuff like this is and don't leave yourself open to being scammed!
Back to top Go down
kelvgoh

kelvgoh

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:21 am

This is a very good post, thanks.
Back to top Go down
rogaroga

rogaroga

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm

I was not sure where to post this, but feel it should be part of the "Sticky" section in this sub-forum. Maybe a moderator can figure out the best home for this advice:

To point in game users to your forum shop thread here on the forums, consider using tinyurl.com

For example, my shop thread is linked via:

tinyurl.com/a2nq6zo

This URL comfortably fits in my in game profile comment field, like so:

How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading 2dlsobq
Back to top Go down
ElysianField
☆☆☆☆☆☆
ElysianField

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 5:24 am

as long as you have your Id number written correctly this won't be needed.

Also writing down the Link every time you trade is annoying
Back to top Go down
rogaroga

rogaroga

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 11:02 am

Hmmm, I think you've missed my point.

The link is permanently posted on your profile, so you don't have to write it down every time you trade.

Secondly, there is no way for a person to find your particular thread on these forums just by looking at your ID in game. They may not even know these forums exist. By having that link on your in game profile as I've shown above, they are brought to your forum thread.
Back to top Go down
Stubub
☆☆☆
Stubub

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:23 am

Sorry, I've never traded before.

Can someone clarify on "5 items"

e.g. 4xTE + 4* + 4*

Is that 3 items or 6 in this definition?
Back to top Go down
Onisunit
☆☆☆☆
Onisunit

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 2:40 am

Stubub wrote:
Sorry, I've never traded before.

Can someone clarify on "5 items"

e.g. 4xTE + 4* + 4*

Is that 3 items or 6 in this definition?
Each trade can have up to 5 items in it and can contain the following:
Cards(1*-6*)
Pots [No Pots(p)]
T.E.(Time Elixir)[No TE(p)]
Luna
Event Specialty Items(Soul Stones/Shards/Flowers)
Example> (2TE/1Pot/2Cards)

Note: Anytime you send anyone a trade, you run the risk of getting something we call "Trade Locked".
Trade Lock occurs when the person you send your trade to does not "reply" to your trade, or does not "cancel" it.
Also important to remember that you can only have up to 5 trades in lock.

As for not getting scammed...the ONLY way anyone can get scammed, as they call it, is by sending someone a card via the trade system to add to the "Album" feature, and you don't get something to hold from them that is of equal value while they do it. By getting "collateral"(Card(s) of equal value), you will not be out with nothing if for say that person decides not to send your card(s) back after Albuming is done.
Back to top Go down
herosmero

herosmero

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi guys, new to the forum and game, and had a pretty noob question. I couldn't find anywhere that explained the actual trade mechanics (apologies if it's somewhere obvious), and I was wondering how it worked. Based on my assumptions, it's something like the following:

1. You offer up to five things to someone in trade.
2. They have the option of either counter-offering items or cancelling the trade.
3. You can accept their counter-offer and trade is complete.
4. The trade will time-out after a certain amount of time if they don't counter-offer or cancel the trade.

Is this about right?
Back to top Go down
sGabe4
☆☆☆☆☆☆
sGabe4

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 6:42 am

hey everyone
just wanted to draw attention to the epidemic of faux-scammed scammers

basically what I'm talking about is people who go around saying they got scammed in album trades/offers and now they want to ask for free 4*/5* cards from strangers so they can compete again

don't fall for these as 98% of the time, they are the scammers themselves.
I recently met 2 of these scammers and when I asked them for details on their supposed scamming they couldn't provide any names, dates or even cards

so ppl, just plz pay attn and good luck playing fanta
Back to top Go down
ToastyDonuts

ToastyDonuts

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 9:00 pm

No the best solution for album is dont do it. The way things are explained here makes it seems like the albumer is the scammer. Consider the fact that the albumer does the honest thing and gives something of greater value. What happens if the albumer doesnt get HIS/HER card back? The point of view described in this is one sided.

The middle man idea is even worse because the middle man could be working for either side of the trade. Or if you get a random middle man, he could scam both.

Just saying... Don't do it. If someone wants to album, let em work for it and get it through a trade/puchase.
Back to top Go down
peteropend

PostSubject: trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 2:14 pm

hey! i have a great news for all trading!
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=forex.trading.game
its Sintec Forex Game is the best forex simulation for Android.
If you want to test your forex trading skills, this app is for you!
Trade like on real account not waiting for market changes and without losing cash!
With Sintec Forex Game you can develop forex trading skills and compare to other players on multidimensional ranking:
- Global/Country
- Profit per game/Profit per transaction/Best game profit
- Ranking for experienced players (20+, 50+ 100+ games)
Back to top Go down
matakaw
☆☆
matakaw

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 3:14 am

peteropend wrote:
hey! i have a great news for all trading!
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=forex.trading.game
its Sintec Forex Game is the best forex simulation for Android.
If you want to test your forex trading skills, this app is for you!
Trade like on real account not waiting for market changes and without losing cash!
With Sintec Forex Game you can develop forex trading skills and compare to other players on multidimensional ranking:
- Global/Country
- Profit per game/Profit per transaction/Best game profit
- Ranking for experienced players (20+, 50+ 100+ games)
This is not the right thread to be posted on something about other apps.

Just transfer your post to general chat at the bottom part of forum page.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading   How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to prevent yourself from getting scammed while trading
Page 1 of 1