Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

So, what's with Medusa's arm?

Go down 
+6
clocksprocket
furoki
deedlit228
mistive
Callanthe
Asgard
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Asgard

So, what's with Medusa's arm? Empty
PostSubject: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 pm

So, what's with Medusa's arm? 125hr3n

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Callanthe
☆☆☆☆☆
Callanthe

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Her arm is folded like paper \o/

still not as bad as Beatrix.So, what's with Medusa's arm? Add6cf6585f6bce5

Her long "ankles"...her left "knee"...
Hell, her right big toe is longer than her fingers.
Back to top Go down
mistive
☆☆
mistive

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 pm

Probably not the artists' most greatest work of art.
Back to top Go down
Asgard

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 11:50 pm

Callanthe wrote:
Her arm is folded like paper \o/

still not as bad as Beatrix.

Her long "ankles"...her left "knee"...
Hell, her right big toe is longer than her fingers.

Oh gosh. I cannot unsee that. D:
Back to top Go down
deedlit228
☆☆

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 12:29 am

Meh, there's a lot of cards with questionable anatomy. Take Oktavia for example:

So, what's with Medusa's arm? Db4604aa0f762aa6

What's with that left leg of hers bending sideways like that? Never mind the fact her limbs are freakishly long. Then there's her left claw hand that looks like a crow's foot. Though I guess it would play to the stereotyped image of a witch to have bony-looking hands like that.

Back to top Go down
furoki

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 2:57 am

one elf, one witch one monster, that why is different from human.
Back to top Go down
clocksprocket
Commando Chicklet [EPIC]
clocksprocket

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 am

Hahaha Oktavia and Beatrix were what I was going to bring up. Although Beatrix is worse than I originally thought -- I was going to bring up the fact that her right arm (left to us viewers) has always appeared like a noodle arm to me.

There's also Lieselotte. She literally has almost no ankles, and it would be impossible to stand or do anything. They're thinner than her arms. Blech.
Back to top Go down
predator852
Gingerbreadian [SPECIAL]
predator852

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Nobodies mentioned Grey yet?
Back to top Go down
Cam
☆☆☆☆
Cam

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned Dorothea. I can't look at her card without seeing freakishly huge legs, and a broken right arm.
http://www.fantasicawiki.com/wiki/File:Dorothea_card.jpg

I think there is suppose to be a 'pop out' sort of effect with Dorothea's legs and Oktavia's arm. Not too sure though...
Back to top Go down
Onisunit
☆☆☆☆
Onisunit

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Cam wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Dorothea. I can't look at her card without seeing freakishly huge legs, and a broken right arm.

I think there is suppose to be a 'pop out' sort of effect with Dorothea's legs and Oktavia's arm. Not too sure though...
Leave Dorothea out of this...she's my fav! Razz
Back to top Go down
GnatB
☆☆☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:31 am

Cam wrote:

I think Dorothea is standing on the camera sort of bent over reaching down, so it's perspective making her legs huge, and stretching out her left hand.
Back to top Go down
deedlit228
☆☆

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:06 am

GnatB wrote:
Cam wrote:

I think Dorothea is standing on the camera sort of bent over reaching down, so it's perspective making her legs huge, and stretching out her left hand.

Yeah, it's called "foreshortening". You see it a lot in images/photos and it's really difficult to draw "correctly" (even if you're a professional artist) because it looks so odd in still images/real life. For example, this picture of a guy pointing at the camera:

Spoiler:

While the artist could have done a better job at foreshortening Dorothea's limbs (though I'm willing to cut him/her slack due to the aforementioned difficulties), I think she's more anatomically correct than a lot of the other card art that are in dynamic poses. If it weren't for foreshortening, Dorothea would most likely end up having long, noodly limbs like Oktavia, which I think is even worse. However, I do think there's something odd with her left arm (the one that's being held back). It looks like she has muscular dystrophy. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, what's with Medusa's arm?   So, what's with Medusa's arm? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, what's with Medusa's arm?
Page 1 of 1