Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Check out the Drawing Contest going on in the Artwork Center! Deadline extended to April 20th! If you have submitted something, you may resubmit something else on the next deadline!

Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?

Go down 
+3
boyetvalte
lucentSwallowtail
seanlink
7 posters
AuthorMessage
seanlink
☆☆☆☆
seanlink

Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? Empty
PostSubject: Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?   Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 8:54 pm

As we all know, if you want to rank in events, you'd better not skip a whole day. So to that thought, how does everyone else with girlfriends who aren't into video games still do well in events?

I try to slighly pull my phone out and use up TP or Dice rolls as quick as possibe, then pocket my phone for another 30-60 minutes.

Sucks that if you play all week and are doing well, missing one day on the weekend will totally screw up all that work, technically making it not worth playing the event at all.
Back to top Go down
lucentSwallowtail
☆☆☆
lucentSwallowtail

PostSubject: Re: Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?   Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Hey now. Not all of us have girlfriends Wink

With that said, let me add one more disclaimer that I am not a high spender or ranker. However, I do spend once in a while and rank for some events (well, only the last two dice events and only for the six star).

But back to your question, my boyfriend is pretty understanding, having played (and still plays) his own games. I establish beforehand that I'm trying to rank for an event and won't be too attentive for that week. I'll still get made fun of, but for the most part, he understands. I also do the quick phone play and put away to respect the time I'm playing during our dinners together. That's more for me though, since I really value dinner time as together time. He usually takes my phone playing as a chance to browse through more reddit.

Anyway, there is definitely a give and take. There will be some weeks where he can't be there for me 100% for various reasons, as there are those weeks for me--sometimes by choice, like ranking, and sometimes not, like exams or heavy workloads. When it's by choice for something like this game, he understands that this is something that I enjoy that he won't completely understand but will still respect that I want to do this

I hope that helps ^^; I realize that one key difference is that your SO doesn't play games, so it's just harder to understand. However, you don't have to understand something completely to respect each other's differences, time, space, activities, etc. ^^ try asking her! Also, someone else who ranks higher or more consistently should pipe in, so Sean doesn't have a sample size of one Smile

tl;dr: establish beforehand you're going to need time to rank and to please be lenient on the fact that you'll be less attentive than a good gf/bf should be. other people please post too. thanks!
Back to top Go down
boyetvalte
☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?   Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 10:54 pm

My wife has been pretty supportive of my game time as well. She understand it is my way of unwinding from work and how i value the achievement of ranking certain events. Yes I agree with lucent Swallotail, discuss it with her, I'm sure she'll understand.

On the other hand, there are times when she gives me funny looks meaning I'm going a bit overboard with my game time. For that, I bought a very comfy couch as a fallback position.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
rotarywhiz
☆☆☆☆☆
rotarywhiz

PostSubject: Re: Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?   Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 11:07 pm

boyetvalte wrote:
My wife has been pretty supportive of my game time as well.  She understand it is my way of unwinding from work and how i value the achievement of ranking certain events.  Yes I agree with lucent Swallotail, discuss it with her, I'm sure she'll understand.

On the other hand, there are times when she gives me funny looks meaning I'm going a bit overboard with my game time.  For that, I bought a very comfy couch as a fallback position.   Razz 

I think you hit it right on the head there, its all about give and take. Meaning if you want to take time to play you have to give them something in return, buying the significant other something they really want will buy you a week of gaming.  cheers 
Back to top Go down
boyetvalte
☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?   Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 11:24 pm

The couch is not a gift...it is for me to crash into when she gets really pissed.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
AzakaZero
☆☆☆☆
AzakaZero

PostSubject: Re: Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?   Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 1:48 am

Well, I have a wife who is not very understanding so ranking (above 6*) is just not for me. I've decided to settle for rank 6*s and the occasional grindable 7* (of which we've only had one yet).

Given my RL situation (3 small kids, busy work schedule) I often feel that Fanta is just not for guys like me but I can't really find a game that will replace it so here I am.

Not really advice but just to let you know you're not the only one struggling Wink
Back to top Go down
KuroStar
☆☆☆☆☆☆
KuroStar

PostSubject: Re: Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?   Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 7:12 am

Most of the community here are like WAY OLDER THAN ME! (I'm only 17 this year for goodness sake, I feel so young Very Happy , okay, that was bad, sorry D: )

Back to top Go down
Roanmarvel
☆☆☆☆

PostSubject: Re: Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?   Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? I_icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 12:01 pm

AzakaZero wrote:
Well, I have a wife who is not very understanding so ranking (above 6*) is just not for me. I've decided to settle for rank 6*s and the occasional grindable 7* (of which we've only had one yet).

Given my RL situation (3 small kids, busy work schedule) I often feel that Fanta is just not for guys like me but I can't really find a game that will replace it so here I am.

Not really advice but just to let you know you're not the only one struggling Wink

Similar situation here.  I play on a tablet too, so it's not like I can sneak it out of the pocket during dinner or what not.  But ultimately it's about what's important to you.  If this game is important enough that you're willing to let it be a source of friction then you have to explain why it's important to you.  Ultimately I can't/won't do that so I just don't play much on the weekends.

As for during the week, well the wife works *a lot*, so I can get my game time in then lol.

Also, I'm not one of those people with a job that lets me grind during the day (even if I wasn't playing on a conspicuous tablet).  So I just gotta set my goals and aims to what I can achieve on limited time.  The job thing actually made it easier to ease up on weekend gaming, since I can't realistically rank anyways, so why get into a fight over playing too much on the weekends =p.

Edit: my job does allow me to be online all the time, so I probably seem like I'm playing 24/7 with my posting habits....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?   Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Explaining game time involvement to girlfriend?
Page 1 of 1